Benefits of a Whole-home Dehumidifer
You already know that the summer in St. Louis can be hot, sticky and humid. Sitting around in your home at the height of August (or worse – trying to sleep!) can be excruciating. Installing a dehumidifier can be the answer.
Even when it is not that hot outside, St. Louis can stay pretty damp throughout the entire summer season. In fact, the Missouri Climate Center reports that it can reach 83% humidity in the mornings! That might explain why you might wake up feeling stickier than when you went to bed.
Humidity in your home
When the humidity remains outside, it can be manageable – but when the damp heat makes its way inside, it feels terrible. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you keep your home at a relative humidity level that stays between 30% and 50%. If your home’s humidity starts to creep up any higher, you can face a lot of the following problems:
- Dust mites – Dust mites simply adore the humidity, and their populations will start to skyrocket the moister your home becomes.
- Mold growth – When your carpets, textiles and soft furnishing remain moist and wet for prolonged periods of time, toxic black mold can start to grow.
- Mildew growth – Similar to the point above, once mildew starts to proliferate, it can really ruin your belongings. It is very hard to get rid of.
- Health issues – Mold, mildew and dust mites can all cause serious complications for anyone who suffers with asthma, allergies or a compromised immune system.
- Damaged furniture and clothing – Your leather goods, soft furnishings and clothing can all become ruined by mold and mildew.
- A clammy feeling in the air – No matter how much you run your air conditioner, if it is very clammy outside you will feel clammy inside.
A lot of people choose to head these issues off by installing a whole home dehumidifier. While you might be tempted by a single room dehumidifier unit, resist the temptation – they simply do not pack the punch of their whole home counterparts.
Here are some of the benefits of hiring R.F. Schraut Heating and Cooling to install a whole home dehumidifier in your house:
- You Only Need One! Unlike the room by room units, a whole home model is connected into your existing heating and cooling system ductwork. This means that each room of your home is cool, dry and pleasant. You can run it concurrently with your air conditioner, or on its own. Simple!
- There’s all kinds of sizes available – Whole home dehumidifiers are available in a variety of sizes. We can help you choose one for a small apartment all the way up to a unit that can dehumidify up to 5,000 square feet in your home or office.
- They are efficient – Whole home units can be up to 4 times more efficient than the ones that simply dehumidify a single room. This can help you maximise your savings and spend less on energy.
- You can also use a dehumidifier to purify the air – Are you also looking for an air purification system? We can point you in the right direction and help you choose a whole home dehumidifier that does double duty as both.
Let’s be honest – your family’s health, comfort and happiness are worth installing a whole home dehumidifier. Give us a call or email today and our friendly family team can start helping you with this choice. We’re here to help!